Get ahead and make a hat! There will be an opportunity to make both a fascinator or pillbox, and a straw or felt hat for yourself. You will cover many aspects of millinery to enable you to create and trim your own hats.
If you want to learn about Millinery in Sydney, then this course is for you.
- Introduction to millinery
- Materials for millinery
- Tool kit for millinery
- What style suits me?
- Make a fascinator base using traditional techniques
- Working with sinamay- some clever trim ideas
- Continue working on your fascinator
- Design Elements and principles for hats
- Tour Embellish Atelier Studio
- Working with feathers
- Continue working on project
- How to wear your fascinator methods of attachment
- Choose blocks for your hat project
- Blocking demonstration
- Working with silk and flower making tools
- Begin blocking hats
- Continue working on hats
- How to apply Grosgrain
- Continue blocking and finishing hats
- Demonstrate ways to use Crinoline
- Continue working on hat project
- How to finish and apply trim to hat
- Complete hats
- Keep it on your head tricks to use
- How to store, and care for your hat
The intended Learning Outcomes for this course are as follows.
By the end of this Millinery Course, students will:
- Have completed two small hats
- Be able to demonstrate use of a variety of millinery techniques to make and complete a hat with feather skills, finishing, binding techniques, use of veiling
- Be able to analyse a hat in terms of design line, colour, texture, repetition, emphasis and balance
- Be able to determine styles to suit their face shape
The tutor provides the foundation materials – Sinamay, parasisal or felt capeline, some basic fabrics, tools, equipment and sundry glues, stiffeners for this class as well as the privelege of creating your 2 pieces on rare blocks Embellish atelier private hat block collection.
Please wear closed in shoes.
A sewing kit which includes:
General purpose scissors
A pair of long nosed pliers
Packet of mixed size straw needles
(all available from Spotlight or lincraft)
*If you wish to use the College machines, please buy:
- City campus – 2 x JANOME bobbins (to suit ‘My Excel 18W’ machine) which can be bought from Janome stores or Lincraft.
- Rozelle campus – 2 x SINGER bobbins ( to suit ‘Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine’) which can be bought from Singer stores or Lincraft.
These bobbins are not available from any other store.
Feedback from Past Students:
'I really enjoyed this course and would recommend to anyone.'
'Extremely knowledgeable. Was able to work the classroom with ease.'
'The tutor, Catherine was obviously a subject matter expert but also had a lovely nature and was happy to share her knowledge.'
'I found the course very satisfying and a wonderful introduction to millinery. The only improvement I would make is to perhaps to provide a clearer course outline and student notes / handouts.'
'Exceeded my expectations. Catherine is an excellent teacher, knows her stuff and really has got the program for this course worked out organisationally. Plus I cannot believe how far up the millinery learning curve she gets us – I learnt many more techniques than I expected to.'
'The tutor pushed us and gave us lots of encouragement throughout the whole course. I’d love to do a winter hat now.'
'Made the course interesting and very passionate about all things millinery. Quite contagious!'
Avoid disappointment. Enrol early.
Please ensure that you have given a valid email and mobile number as all course changes will be communicated via sms or email.