Woodwork for Beginners course in Sydney.
This carpentry course provides the foundations for woodwork projects with a Re-DIY focus – the reuse of timber to create a functional toolbox. You will learn how to work with hand and power tools, selecting timbers, measuring and planning for projects and different finishing techniques for timber. This course will give you the understanding of carpentry terminology and techniques so that you can take your own projects with confidence.
Class sizes are kept small to ensure maximal learning experience.
- Practice safety in the workshop
- Identify and use woodworking tools
- Identify and use selected electric machines
- Understand basic information on timber properties and types
- Selecting and preparing reclaimed timber
- Understand joining techniques
- Measuring and working to a plan
- Different finishing techniques for timber and ongoing maintenance
This course is suitable for beginners with no prior experience.
By the end of the course the student will have:
- learned how to use woodworking tools safely;
- learned to identify and use selected electric machines safely;
- learned the carpentry terminology;
- learned woodworking techniques and practices;
- gained skills in planning, reading plans and developing a cutting list;
- made a functional toolbox.
All tools and materials are provided, however students are welcome to bring their own tools – old and new – and learn how to use and maintain them.
The Bower Reuse & Repair Centre Workshop
107 Redfern Street, Redfern
(Entry via Turner Street (opposite of 23 Turner Street) from rear of building)
- Please don’t wear your best clothing
- If you have long hair, please tie it back
- Wear closed-in shoes