Learn Decorative Gilding Course in Sydney.
This shiny, fun and informative course will introduce you to the basic skills you need to use contemporary gilding in your art or decorative art projects. Learn how to apply copper, silver and Dutch gold leaf, using different techniques and finishes.
Whether you prefer a sleek contemporary look or love the texture of an aged or distressed finish, this course will give you the skills you need to start working with this versatile art form.
In the first workshop, you will create a sample board of at least six different gilding finishes, learning techniques you can use for future projects. The following week, the tutor will guide you through your own gilding project.
- Brief history of the art form
- Introduction to materials and equipment
- Choosing and creating suitable surfaces to apply your gilding
- Applying metal leaf
- Finishing techniques
- Putting it into practice on your own project
By the end of this Gilding workshop you will have learned how to:
- recognise the different types of metal leaf
- prepare a surface for gilding
- apply at least two types of metal leaf
- apply at least four types of surface finish or treatments
This course is designed for people who love upcycling and personalising small objects, or who want to start to use metal leaf in their art or decorative art projects. People who love shiny things and who enjoy the alchemy of transforming an everyday item.
Starter kit included in course fee, contains:
- 1 sheet of primed MDF for sample board
- Cotton balls
- Cloth rags
- Steel wool
- 1 nylon flat acrylic brush, size 20
- Gilding sheets: 12 sheets gold, 12 sheets silver, 4 sheets copper
- 550ml gold size
Please bring to class
- A selection of paintbrushes if you have them
- A small gilding project to work on (or this can be supplied in class).
Examples of suitable objects for your personal project:
- A small picture frame no larger than 50cm square
- A small wooden box or other wooden object
- A small board or canvas, or good quality heavyweight paper to create a decorative gilded art work, no larger than 50 cm square
Avoid disappointment. Enrol early.
Please ensure that you have given a valid email and mobile number as all course changes will be communicated via sms or email.