Learn how to make stained glass in Sydney.
In this course you learn the skills and techniques of this ancient artform by constructing your own stained glass window.
This course is designed for beginners. Materials may cost up to $300 however some of the tools and materials needed for the course could be found in our homes such as a small board of plywood or MDF, some timber battens, a soldering iron (100 Watt), a hammer and nails, sewing machine oil and a sharpening stone or even some pieces of glass.
Students could also share some tools and materials reducing the total cost. You will design your own work, however there will be books available to inspire and assist. Students are welcome to continue beyond the first class and undertake more complex designs on a larger scale.
- Learn the basic elements of stained glass by making an extremely simple leadlight panel
- Learn how to design for stained glass and draw the “cutline” or working drawing
- Learn how to accurately cut glass to shape
- Learn how to “lead-up” or construct your stained glass composition
- Complete the leading of your stained glass composition
- Learn how to solder your stained glass composition
- Learn how to cement up or putty and then clean and polish your stained glass composition
By the end of this Stained Glass for Beginners Class the student will have:
- knowledge of the equipment and the materials used in stained glass and lead lighting
- knowledge of how to design and execute an individual stained glass composition on a small scale.
This course is designed for all levels.
Please bring to class
- Ideas and sketches for a design
- One 2B Pencil
- One soft eraser
- A black Artline 700 or similar
- Several sheets of A4 paper (ordinary printing paper 80 gsm will do) for sketches
- An A3 cartridge paper sketchpad would also be handy
- Small set square
- Ruler approx. 35cm long
Remaining materials and tools required for the course will be discussed in the first week by the Tutor. Glass and tools will be available for purchase throughout the course and the addresses of suppliers will also be provided.
Please wear closed in shoes. Anyone in open-toed shoes will not be permitted to continue in the class. An apron or a throw-over shirt would be a good idea. Be prepared to get a little messy.
Students are eligible for 10% discount at Tilly’s Art Suppliers, Darling St, Rozelle.
Newtown Art Supplies, King St, Newtown (Just show copy of course enrolment confirmation).
Or try Chapel Art Supplies, 110 Johnson Lane. Annandale. Phone: 9660 1182 (for brushes and paper only).
Avoid disappointment. Enrol early.
Please ensure that you have given a valid email and mobile number as all course changes will be communicated via sms or email.